By using the drug Beta Blocker “the force and rate of the heartbeat is reduced” (patient.co.uk)”
You should feel calm, cool (literally) and collected with the pop of one pill – so surely it provides an answer or does it?
I am posing this question because I was recently asked by a fearful presenter if the drug is indeed the cure? If it calms the presenter down and makes them feel relaxed what could be better?
The honest answer is this – I don’t know, I’ve never popped one! But what I would ask is this:
“What was the experience like for your audience?”
Just because you feel great, means absolutely nothing in terms of how successful you were as a presenter .
The best indicator of your success is the reaction you get from your audience – How did they feel?
Sorry to have to be the one to tell you this, but how you (the presenter) feels is irrelevant!
How about thinking about these questions instead:
- Did you have energy and passion when you spoke?
- Did you have a positive, grounded physical presence?
- Did you engage with a strong vocal delivery?
- Did your facial expression and eye contact connect with people?
- Did you talk “to people” or “at people”?
- Were you connected emotionally to what you were saying?
- Did you “own your stage”?
- Did you feel energised after your presentation?
– If you’re not sure – then there’s your answer.
It should also be noted that the following are but a few of Beta Blockers side affects “Some initial side effects (patient.co.uk)”
- Sometimes the heart rate can go too slowly. This can make you dizzy or feel faint.
- Some people develop cool hands and feet.
- Tiredness, depression, impotence (you cannot get a proper erection)
- vivid dreams, nightmares and other sleeping problems may occur.
So loads of scary side effects http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Beta-Blockers.htm
I say, trust you natural skills, prepare, rehearse and as my mother very recently said;
“Face the fear and do it anyway”
You may just be very glad you did!
ConfidentSpeak is a specialist S.T.E.M Communications & Coaching Consultancy based in Dublin, Ireland. We work with leading Irish and international companies and executives at home and abroad. Contact us for details on our range of corporate/private programmes for executives, sales teams and technical professionals.